December 2, 2009

untitled

today is december 2, and i cant think of anything to say!
im not sure if its because i am being boring, or if its that there really is nothing going on. today was the last day of my work week? thats pretty exciting, if not for you, then at least for me. now i have a six-day weekend, because next monday and tuesday are school holidays. luckily im a grown-up and i receive a salary, because if they only paid me for the days i actually worked, well then we'd all be in trouble. this is probably the first and only time i will say this in my life, but i kinda wish it wasnt a holiday. i mean in my normal life i LOVE not working, but this is not my normal life, and i am not feeling normal. school holidays not only leave me with nothing to do (but eat/get fat at home), i also kinda like working. its kinda fun. my students are hilarious, and they are the closest thing i have to friends. they make me laugh, they talk shit to me in spanish, and they all want to say hi to me in the hallway-its like being popular or something. today we had to read a passage from Bram Stoker's Dracula. then we talked about vampires, and about Interview with the Vampire, and about Twilight. its awesome because there are a few goth/weird arty girls in my classes who are totally me when i was in high school. except they are shy! (i was a frickin' firecracker when i was in highschool) its so sweet they are so totally typically the 'weird girls'; they all have died black hair and wear too much black eye makeup, and of course they were the ones who were way into all the vampire talk. ha most of the class hadnt even heard of Interview with the Vampire, but one of the girls is totally like 'oh yeah i love anne rice. lestat is such a babe' well she didnt actually know how to say he 'is a babe', but i totally taught her, cause he totally IS. so yup. i like what i am doing. sometimes its super hard and frustrating, and i stand in front of the class and ask a question 7 times and everyone just stares at me and doesn't say a word. and sometimes i feel like a moron because i cant explain something well, or no one understands me, or i am trying to teach and no one gives a fuck about what i am saying. and other times, out of nowhere, its really gratifying. sometimes i know ive really helped them understand something, and sometimes i can tell they are really trying. i just want them to have confidence in themselves, and i want them to leave class feeling good about their abilities and about who they are. and sometimes they do. and on those days i leave work with a smile on my face, because i feel like ive been a positive influence in my students lives. it makes me feel real.

2 comments:

  1. haha two thumbs up. i wanna be a hot, young goth, girl. im jumpin in my envelope and heading off to spain!

    ReplyDelete